Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday 20 October 2011

www.we-voice.blogspot.com

Have been working my ideas through regarding my most recent project on 'giving women a voice'. I wanted to collect women's personal experiences of 'being woman'. After spending time filming women for my previous pieces i found it interesting how these women opened themselves up to be filmed even though they hadnt felt too comfortable with it. They found some trust in me and opened up themselves off camera too, it was these conversations that got me thinking.
I am now moving forward by asking women to write me their experiences of 'being woman' (and no this is not a typo, i want it to read woman not women). I have put posters up in uni, i have emailed every woman i know and asked them to forward to all women they know. I have set up a blog and a new email account to collect these pieces.
I am going to start collecting email addresses of women's centres, women's publications, feminist publications, female artists, writers, women in the public eye etc. I will then be emailing them with my poster, blog and email address in hope of building interest and hopefully entries to the project.
This piece will become the women who contributes to it's. I will not edit or pick and choose, everything within reason that is sent to me will be entered, obviously excluding anything obviously offensive, abusive etc. I will have to make careful decisions as i really don't want to edit people out, this is about giving ALL women a voice if they want to be heard.
I presented this project to my tutor group this week and got some useful (and some not so useful) feedback. The useful were questions that i am thinking through now and will be able to use to clarify my practice and this piece.

www.we-voice.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment