Follow on Bloglovin

Friday 28 October 2011

Camden arts centre

Went to see Nathalie Djurberg 'A world of glass' at Camden arts centre, along with Haroon Mirza 'I saw square triangle sine'.
Djurberg has produced some really interesting animations that are dark and provocative. The installation of these 4 videos are synchronised in the gallery space and have a sound track created by Hans Berg. Along with the videos are glass objects displayed on tables, that for me represent the fragility of life. There is a lot of inclusion of animals, a sense of harm and violence along with the naked human form (female) which for me again show this fragile-ness & vulnerability of the feminine.
Miraza's work was very different. He addresses movement & sound with this installation of instruments. Each instrument creates a noise, less of a musical sound, the crackle of a radio, the constant drone of a keyboard key pressed permanently down, the microphone lead rubbing around the edge of a symbol, but together they create a rhythmic audio, for me it was womb like, the comforting rhythm of a heartbeat. The added part is the installation was the drum kit that the viewer can play, placed so that whilst playing he/she can view the set of paintings on the far wall.  I didn't think i would enjoy Mirza's work as much as i did, i enjoyed the interactive part but unusually for me i like the sound aspect, something maybe for me to consider in my own work, I've not used audio as i have tended to be focused on video but could be a good challenge to explore. i don't often find sound pieces i like. The only part of this installation i didn't particularly get or connect with was the purpose of the paintings!?

No comments:

Post a Comment