Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday 7 February 2012

'birds trapped in bird houses'

I am working on an installation idea which I want to exhibit at our group exhibition (private view 8th March). The piece is using some of the women's stories from my ongoing project on my other blog site (we-voice.blogspot.com) and a few that have been handed to me but not yet been uploaded into site. I am in the process of getting women to read some of these stories out whilst I record them onto dictaphones. The dictaphones will live inside bird nesting boxes/houses that shall be dotted around the gallery. What I am aiming to say is that feminism still has a long way to go, so much is still unsaid, women still need to find their voices and especially the average woman on the street, (so much of feminism and feminist groups are made up of educated women, not saying that this is a bad thing or that all are but I think we all realise the need for feminism to be one more accessible and approcable...well I think those things!) men and women are still not equal, a lot more progress needs to be made, women are still repressed, women are still often sat at home (or at work) feeling alone with their problems and experiences, more women need to be supported....oh I could go in forever, basically this piece is references women's need for a voice, women who may hide secrets behind the closed doors of home.... Birds trapped in their houses!! Let's see if I can define this better and pull the installation off!?

No comments:

Post a Comment