Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday 15 September 2011

'Strange culture' by Lynn Hershman Leeson

I recently came across the film 'Strange culture' by Lynn Hershman Leeson about artist and professor Steve Kurtz which i found interesting as a documentry type film. I've been looking at art film and documentary style in particular. I liked this particular one because of the crossover between the real interviewing, the acted and the out take/between acting and the cartoon. I'm interested at present in telling people's stories, the giving voice to my previous pieces, specifically the '3 minute women' piece. I'm also interested in moving the pieces from the gallery and into a movie theatre setting as I want to move toward film as a means of keeping the viewer for the duration of the piece and to engage them in the whole narrative, it is too easy for the viewer to move on in a gallery setting and I as artist want them to stay and hear the entire story, Control the viewer more, this is important as it is about giving voice to my subjects of my piece, letting them tell their story and be heard, maybe for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment