Follow on Bloglovin

Friday 16 September 2011

2009/10 Sophie Calle: 'Talking to Strangers' Whitechapel Gallery

My recent viewing at the Camden Arts Centre of Kerry Tribe's work, my thoughts about narrative & documentary film, along with this trust or distrust in an artist made me reflect on the Sophie Calle exhibition 'Talking to Strangers' i saw at The Whitechapel Gallery back in 2009/10. Particualry the piece in the main gallery, 'Take Care of Yourself'. I recall the video installation of the various women Calle asked to read the email that was the central theme of the show, an email sent by her partner breaking up with her. I like Calle's use of investigation, story telling and the blur between fiction and truth, i like her playfulness. I like the way she shares her personal experience and detaches from it by involving other people (women), it is as if she is ridding herself of the reality and personal attachment to the experience and making it somebody else's experience.
The video installation in particular is particularly relevant to the piece i am working on at present in content and technical/visual format....

No comments:

Post a Comment