Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday 7 November 2010

Marina Abramović



Went to the Lisson gallery to see Marina Abramović. Her first solo show in the UK. Old and new works. An obvious shift in her current work from earlier works. today's work is subtle, sensitive, less shocking, but all the same powerful. Her earlier works, performances shown in the form of photograph and video. I find her work very punishing but have respect and interest in her indurance and commitment. She really challenges herself and the viewer. I find the photographic record of the performances interesting as I can't get the complete feel of the performance and if there were no text explaining the performance I would most likely just see them as poor photographs ( but I actually have an interest in photography that isn't 'correct' or techniqally 'good'). I rather like not seeing all the performance, I personally think a photograph can be a performance, even in her current work, the large photos show a snap second in time where I see Marina as performing. I'm interesting in exploring this idea of photograph as performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment